Below are our recommendations of the top, affordable protein powder online. Whey protein is one of the most convenient and easily absorbed forms of protein for fitness fanatics interested in losing weight and building muscle.
Journey with me WAY back to the time when you last read or heard “Little Miss Muffet, sat on her tuffet, eating her curds and whey.” It’s undeniably true that nursery rhymes can be invaluable teachers of lifelong lessons.
“Don’t use breadcrumbs to mark a trail in the forest.”
“Don’t put a well at the top of a hill and then send your two clumsy kids to get water.”
“Don’t sit high up on a wall if you’re an egg.”
You get the idea.
A little recognized lesson is that if Miss Muffet had been more diligent in eating her curds and whey, she may have had the strength and lean muscle needed to pound the spider that came and sat down beside her. Instead, she simply let it frighten her away. Don’t be a Muffet!
Whey Protein Powder – The Definitive Guide
- PUREST KETO PROTEIN POWDER ON THE MARKET: This doctor-developed whey protein with MCTs is rapidly absorbed by the body. Whey protein & MCTs support immune system health and mental clarity.
- OPTIMAL PROTEIN SOURCE: Perfect Keto Whey is a highly potent source of all 9 Essential Amino Acids, which includes all Branched-Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) making it a complete source of protein. It has 15g whey protein isolate, (90% from grass-fed dairy), which research has shown promotes weight loss, builds lean muscle, boosts muscle strength, and curbs appetite.
- BOOSTS SATIETY: Since it's high in fats, with 5g of MCT Oil Powder and 4g of high quality fats, the Perfect Keto Whey will keep you fuller longer. Enjoy after a workout to speed muscle recovery and tame hunger, or mix up in the morning to tide you over until lunch.
- NO NITROGEN SPIKE: The amount of protein in a powder is measured by its nitrogen content, and many companies "spike" their powders with cheap amino acids to make the product appear to have more protein and to keep production costs down. But this means less complete protein per serving. Perfect Keto does not nitrogen spike, so you're getting the real deal.
- CONVENIENT ON THE GO: Easy to mix and take on the go, enjoy as a portable breakfast or pre- or post-workout snack for a balance of nutrients that'll give a boost in energy.
- WAY BETTER THAN WHEY: If you're looking for a protein powder that's more effective at building muscle and tastier than whey protein, you've found it! Vintage Brawn is the first to combine the isolate forms of the three most-prized protein sources Golden Era athletes relied on to build their lean muscle mass and speed recovery - a protein drink that's richer and tastier than any naturally flavored whey protein. Made from US farm-raised eggs, New Zealand hormone-free milk, and USDA beef.
- THE REAL PROTEIN: Made exclusively from the best forms of the "Big Three": egg protein (isolate), milk protein (isolate) - a mix of casein and whey protein -, and beef protein (isolate). Third-party tested with zero concentrates, zero artificial substances, zero synthetic additives, zero preservatives, and no added aminos (used to cheaply and artificially "spike" the total protein-per-serving figure). We stand by Vintage Brawn as the best muscle-building protein powder supplement on the planet.
- GUARANTEED RESULTS OR YOUR MONEY BACK: Old School Labs supplements never compromise on quality and always include clear and complete supplement facts without any "proprietary blends." We stand by our products 100%. If you are not completely satisfied with any OSL product, we will help you resolve your concern or provide a full refund.
- BUNDLE AND SAVE TODAY: Get 10% OFF any 2 products with code "BUNDLE2X" or 15% OFF any 4 products with code "BUNDLE4X".
- OSL HERITAGE: Old School Labs, California; Supplements That Make Sense, 40 Years in the Making. Only one thing has ever mattered to OSL: our customers. Before becoming a best-selling national brand with thousands of loyal customers and followers, this was our priority. That will never change. Our team of experts are available by email or social media to answer questions regarding the best way to use a product. Our products are sold on Amazon.com, proudly formulated in California, made in U.S.A.
- GOLD STANDARD 100% WHEY BLEND - 24g blended protein consisting of whey protein isolate, whey protein concentrate, and whey peptides to support lean muscle mass - they don't call it the GOLD STANDARD of quality for nothing
- OVER 5G OF BCAAS - help build lean and strong muscles with naturally occurring BCAAs
- 3-4G CARBS, 1-3G SUGAR, AND 1-1.5G FAT, GLUTEN FREE, No Sucralose in Double Rich Chocolate Flavor
- INSTANTIZED - improves mixability to prevent lumps and clumps
- BANNED SUBSTANCE TESTED - highest quality control measures so you feel comfortable and safe consuming the product
- ONLY ONE INGREDIENT: 100% Grass-Fed Pure Whey Protein with zero additives. Naked Whey has no artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colors and is GMO-Free, Growth Hormone Free, Soy Free and Gluten-Free.
- ALL NATURAL WHEY PROTEIN: Our Grass Fed Whey is sourced from small dairy farms in California to bring you a non-denatured whey packed full of essential amino acids, clean protein and glutathione.
- MAXIMUM NUTRITION: 25g of Protein, 2g of Sugar, 3g of Carbs, 120 Calories, and 5.9g of BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids) per serving.
- COLD PROCESSED: Unlike most whey protein powders, Naked Whey is cold processed to ensure zero contamination from chemical detergents (no acid or bleach), synthetic additives, or heavy metals, and this maintains important naturally occurring growth factors.
- THE PERFECT WORKOUT PARTNER: Add a banana, blueberries and more to create your best pre and post workout whey shakes, smoothies and recipes to take your muscle gains and recovery to new heights.
- You will receive (1) jar of Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder, Chocolate, 5 lbs
- IMPROVED TRAINING RECOVERY: Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder is enhanced with creatine and other critical amino acids, allowing you to train harder and rebuild lean muscle faster, because tomorrow's workout starts with today's recovery.*
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR SUPPLEMENTS: Body Fortress provides a variety of pre , intra & post workout supplements to maximize the effectiveness of your workouts. Add Super Advanced Whey Protein to our mass building supplements to maximize your workout routine*
- AFFORDABLE SUPPLEMENTS: Body Fortress is committed to the idea that your gains should be a result of the level of your Dedication & Commitment, not the size of your budget, so our supplements are always the highest quality without being the highest price
- COMPARE TO YOUR FAVORITES: Compare Body Fortress Supplements to Dymatize, Optimum Nutrition, Isopure, Orgain, BSN Syntha 6, MusclePharm, EAS, PlantFusion, Muscle Milk, Evlution, Six Star, MuscleTech, Vega, IntraCore, Quest Nutrition, Gatorade, or Ascent
- GOLD STANDARD 100% Whey delivers 24g of whey protein, has 5.5 grams of naturally occurring BCAAs, and 4 grams of naturally occurring glutamine per serving; Gluten Free
- Whey protein shake consumed before or after exercise helps kick start muscle recovery for men and women
- Have an Alexa device? Enable our OPTIMUM NUTRITION Workout Recipes Skill
- Over 20 delicious flavors to choose from including more on another product page
- Frequently purchased with ON Creatine, ESSENTIAL AMIN.O. ENERGY, and OPTI-MEN
- 100% non-GMO whey protein isolate from grass-fed* cows
- 25G protein per serving; 30 servings per container
- Natural chocolate flavor sweetened with stevia leaf extract
- No added or artificial sugars. No artificial colors or flavors
- Soy free, gluten free, no added rBGH/rBST
- PERFORMANCE NUTRITION: Each scoop of our Vanilla Bean Whey has 24g Protein, 5.4g BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids), and no added sugars. Customers choose Levels for a clean way to build lean muscle, enhance fitness, lose weight and improve their overall health.
- BEYOND ORGANIC: Our 100% grass-fed whey protein comes from pasture-raised dairy cows that eat a nutrient-rich, diverse diet of grasses, which creates a higher concentration of vitamins, minerals, and other beneficial nutrients.
- PURE PROVISIONS: Levels Whey Protein is made in the U.S.A. and goes through rigorous testing to meet the highest quality standards. Our paleo and keto friendly whey is gluten free, soy free, antibiotic free, hormone free, and contains no artificial flavors, no so-called "natural flavors", no artificial sweeteners and no GMOs.
- MADAGASCAR VANILLA: Our Vanilla Bean Whey is made with delicious 100% pure Madagascar Vanilla Extract and lightly sweetened with monk fruit.
- SUPERIOR STANDARDS: Levels Whey Protein is undenatured and undergoes cold process micro-filtration to protect bioactivity and naturally occurring growth factors. Our whey is never bleached and contains no fillers. Each batch is blended with less than 1% non-gmo sunflower lecithin for added nutrition and so your protein will mix instantly.
- CLEANEST WHEY ON THE MARKET: SFH PURE Whey Protein is a highly bioavailable (easy to absorb and digest) whey concentrate. An excellent protein choice for all ages, it provides a number of benefits in areas including sports nutrition, weight management, immune support, bone health, and general wellness. Safe for children, pregnant, and nursing. Completely non-GMO and free of soy, gluten, and artificial flavors or sweeteners
- YEAR ROUND GRASS FED COWS: We set ourselves apart by sourcing from year round grass fed, free range cows that are never treated with antibiotics or bovine growth hormones. For us, it's not just a label - it's at the heart of our integrity as a brand. Our cows are ethically treated and raised on the greenest pastures in New Zealand & Australia, which is the only place in the world where it's possible for them to be grass fed outside all year round
- TRUST WHAT'S IN THE BAG: With no proprietary blends or long lists of other hard to pronounce ingredients, there's nothing to hide when the ingredients are this clean. Because of the clean sourcing, the protein is naturally high in BCAA's, full of heart healthy Omega-3's, and a great source of immune boosting antioxidants. The protein is undenatured and minimally processed leaving all of these health benefits fully intact. Just pure goodness, nothing added
- BECOME STRONGER, FASTER, AND HEALTHIER: Our proteins hydrate well in water and are absorbed very well by your body (easier to absorb than whey protein isolates). SFH PURE Whey has low lactose content; is low in cholesterol; and high in free calcium. It is a rich source of the essential amino acids needed on a daily basis by the body.
- INCREDIBLE CHOCOLATE TASTE: Protein powder has never tasted so good! Put chocolate back on the menu by mixing it in a protein shake or baking into other protein foods for an added nutrition boost. As a dietary supplement, mix one scoop with 6 to 8 oz water or your favorite beverage. May be taken anytime during the day. Store in a cool dry place. Do not refrigerate. Once opened, use within 90 days. Contains 28 servings. Packaging may vary.
The process of acidifying milk yields both a solid component, called the curd, and a liquid component called whey. The whey can then be turned into powder by removing the water, and sold to the muscle craving masses all over the world. Whey protein is one of the most convenient and easily absorbed forms of protein available for fitness fanatics interested in getting muscle fast. What many people don’t realize is that there are actually 3 major forms of protein that coexist under the term “whey protein”. Below is a synopsis of each of the 3 major types of whey protein.
1. Concentrate: The first major form of whey protein, known as concentrate, is a byproduct of the cheese manufacturing process. It can vary in potency from 29%–89% protein by weight, and is relatively low in both fat and cholesterol compared to other forms of protein. It’s important to note that because concentrate is the least processed form of whey protein, it typically has the highest level of bioactive compounds, and carbohydrates in the form of lactose (an important factoid for those with lactose intolerance). An assortment of scientific literature and case studies have acknowledged a likely relationship between bioactive compounds and protective effects against many adverse health conditions including hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and cancer.
2. Isolate: The second major form of whey protein, known as isolate, is usually 90%+ protein by weight and is also typically lower in bioactive compounds. Whey protein isolate is a purer form of protein that’s a staple for many fans of fitness and fitness freaks looking to build lean muscle mass. My wife happens to be lactose intolerant, but by mixing a whey protein blend (concentrate and isolate) with Silk -Light brand soymilk, she is able to include whey protein in her fitness program without any symptoms. This is most likely because whey isolate is processed to remove much of the fat, lactose, and carbohydrates. Of course everyone’s body is unique, so if you’re lactose intolerant I recommend testing small amounts to start with. As always it’s generally best practice to consult your physician before starting any new exercise, or nutrition plan. A drawback of isolates more refined nature is that it tends to be a bit pricier than whey protein concentrate.
o Both of the above mentioned whey protein types are mild to slightly milky in taste.
3. Hydrolysates: The third and final type of whey protein is called whey protein hydrolysates, which are predigested, partially hydrolyzed whey proteins. The process of hydrolization uses enzymes to breakdown the protein strands into smaller chains called peptides, which in turn allows them to travel through the digestion process much more quickly. As a more processed protein than concentrate or isolate, it’s very potent and is very rapidly absorbed. I’ve found that it’s common to find hydrolysates in a blended form, such as Optimum Nutrition’s 100% Any Whey Instantized Whey Protein (shown below), but it’s a bit harder to find in its pure form than the other two types. It’s also important to note that highly-hydrolysed whey has proven to be less allergenic to those with milk allergies than other forms of whey, which is why it’s commonly found as a component in infant formula. As the most processed and pure it’s also generally the highest priced of the three major forms of whey protein.
Casein: The type of protein that I’ve deemed to important not to mention, despite the fact it’s not a whey protein, is casein protein (from the Latin caseus for “cheese”). Of the protein found in milk about 20% is whey protein, and the other 80% is casein. In previous posts I’ve touted the benefits of taking whey protein, especially after workouts, because of how quickly it’s absorbed by the body (as fast as 15 minutes). On the flip side, an attractive molecular property of casein is its ability to gel/clot in the stomach, which as a result makes it a protein that releases amino acids into the bloodstream much slower and for an extended period of time. Whereas the release rates following ingestion of whey isolate tend to decline after 2 hours or so, release casein has been shown to last as long as 7 hours. This trait makes casein an excellent protein to incorporate into the diet of your fitness program when a slow and steady release of amino acids is desirable, such as in the evening hours before bed.
If your vegan checkout our review of the best vegan protein powders.
So you’ve got your protein powder, now what???
Checkout our collection of 144 Protein Shake Recipes!